This may end up being a bit of a long post, so I apologise in advance.
If you don't want to read it, skip to the summary section at the end.
As most ChatSpike regulars will have noticed, things have been a tiny bit stale and musty the past few months - and for this we apologise profusely.
We've been busy with other things (real life, et cetera), and one aspect of things that has been holding us back and demotivating us to some extent has been the (internal) state of Services, the part of ChatSpike that handles registrations and all the cool bits (NickServ, ChanServ, etc).
Internally, we've known for quite a while that the state of affairs has been far from ideal, but recently we decided to start working on actually fixing things instead of just procrastinating.
With this in mind, we will be switching Services to a new version, which will enable us to much more easily add new features in the future (as we switched server software in the past for the same reason). This will mean more toys, less odd problems, and more flexibility - good things all round.
On the downside of this, there is quite a bit of change involved, so we've set up a test network. If you'd like to help us test, connect to irc.inspircd.com on port 6667. Services there are running a copy of the "live" setup, but any changes you make on either side won't affect the other.
We'll of course be providing more details (such as documentation etc) in the near future.
Some of the new features you may look forward to and test are:
- A more customisable channel access system (easier to use, more flexible)
- IdleServ gone, you will be able to get ChanServ to join your channel instead
- ChanServ will respond to channel commands
- New website features, more integration between services and the website
- Channel statistics in /CS INFO
- And more as we come up with ideas (you can help with this, by adding comments to this newspost!)
- (no, we're not going to be using anope)
Summary: Services changes are coming up, help test them with us on irc.inspircd.com port 6667 in #chatspike.
Thanks for your patience.